Welcome to Tree Lemon. You can continue to safely shop without logging in, login or create an account.

About Us

I have always loved candles but realised whenever I burnt them my asthma and general health worsened.  I researched the possible causes and affects, and was horrified to find out just how bad for my health certain types of candle were.  Paraffin and artificially perfumed and coloured Soy candles exacerbated my asthma and allergies and now know their toxicity was the likely reason. My healthg improved noticeably after I discontinued using them, and would recommend you do too.

Paraffin based candles should be an absoloute NO NO!!! Soy candles, with or without added pure essential oils, are an improvement but in my opinion the best candles are those containing only beeswax.  Please read labels carefully and DON'T be misled (be extremely cautious if a label does not state what type of wax is in the candle, what don't they want you to know). I was shocked to discover that candles made by a very well known brand were sold as containing 100% beeswax, but on looking at the ingredients carefully I found there was actually only 5% pure beeswax in the candles, the 5% being 100% beeswax! This was misleading and deceitful. I realised I could not take on trust a so called 100% beeswax candle again and was determined to do something about it.

Do what I did and go into a store (I visited all the major department stores in London) and check the ingredients in a candle. Almost all (including the big luxury end brand names) DO NOT state what type of wax is in their candles! I even emailed one of the biggest (and most expensive) luxury end candle manufacturers in the world and was told they contain a 'Mineral Blend' and would not elaborate further when questioned. What on earth does mineral blend mean! What are they hiding? 

I began by making candles for my own use at home using pure 100% beeswax with nothing added. Just a few at first, but after I discovered I had no ill effects from beeswax there was no turning back. I wanted to share my candles with everyone so made the decision to produce and sell them.

Below is an article that was in a UK Daily newspaper regarding toxic candles which I came across while researching toxins in candles, which I would urge you read before lighting another artificial wax candle in your home.

Could scented candles kill you?

They're many women's favourite indulgence - but their fumes are as toxic as cigarettes
Few homes are without the wafting perfume of a scented candle from time to time. We light them to infuse a room with fragrance, to add a romantic ambiance to a meal and to make bath times more luxurious.

But could the very candles used to soothe our mood actually be bad for us?

Research has shown some scented candles produce smoke laced with almost as many toxins as those produced by cigarettes.

Since they are often lit in poorly ventilated rooms, such as bathrooms, or during the evening when windows are likely to be closed, the release of chemicals can cause indoor pollution that is potent enough to raise the risk of asthma, eczema and skin complaints.

Sales of scented candles have soared in recent years as they have come to represent the ultimate fulfillment of ‘me’ time.

More expensive varieties made from beeswax and soy rarely cause problems, but the majority of those sold in the UK are cheap imports made from paraffin wax, a by-product of the petroleum industry. These have been shown to release an alarming range of volatile organic compounds (VOCs), substances that can be problematic to health.

When U.S. researchers burnt a range of candles in a laboratory for a study published two years ago, the chemicals released in harmful amounts included human carcinogens and chemicals known to cause asthma attacks, such as toluene and benzene. 

Dr. Amid Hamidi of South Carolina University, who led the study, showed that paraffin-based candles produced ‘clear sharp peaks’ for many chemicals, mainly because they do not reach high enough temperatures when being burned to destroy the hazardous molecules they emit. ‘An occasional paraffin candle and its emissions will probably not affect you,’ he said. ‘But lighting many of them every day for years, or lighting them frequently in an unventilated bathroom, for example, may cause problems.’

It’s not just the candle wax that is potentially dangerous. Top-of-the-range candles are scented with natural perfumes or essential oils. But since they are costly and difficult to add in large quantities, many of the mass-market products contain synthetic fragrances and sometimes dyes that can give off harmful particles when they are heated.

In a laboratory analysis of candles conducted for consumer magazine Proof!, the smoke from pillar-type candles and tea lights purchased from supermarkets and department stores in London was analysed for traces of cadmium and lead.

Almost one fifth of those tested had detectable levels of cadmium and a small number released lead.

More alarming were the findings from research in Holland. Dutch scientists measured the air particles in churches that burned candles for up to nine hours at a time. They found ten times as many damaging free radicals — molecules that can cause cancer — in the air inside the churches as they did in the air beside a motorway.

It is known that soot particles can penetrate the deepest parts of the lung and, as such, have the potential to aggravate respiratory illness.  It claimed that some people who believe they have an allergy or irritation that causes wheezing may be reacting to the pollutants from candles they are burning at home.

Experts at the British Lung Foundation say that occasional use of candles is unlikely to cause problems, but that it is sensible to light them only in well-ventilated rooms and for short periods of time.

Meanwhile, an online survey carried out by Asthma UK last December found that scented candles were items that made a quarter of respondents’ asthma symptoms worse. ‘Perfumed products can trigger asthma, so it’s important to be careful when buying scented items for people with asthma,’ says Cher Piddock, lead nurse for the charity.

We promise that our candles are free of all toxic chemicals and contain only pure 100% Beeswax with no added perfumes, dyes or any other ingredient, man made or otherwise. As a result my asthma has improved. I hope you benefit from using them too.

Thank you, Teresa Lemon.